Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The new oval logo has been updated!

BEFORE...


The photo above was taken at the 10th and Reed store in Philadelphia shortly after its remodel in 2014. It's safe to say this logo blew a lot of our minds with how awesome it was! An extremely successful update to Acme's dreadfully dull block-letter logo, accomplished with a nod to Acme's logos of the past. The original version has been used in remodels over the past few years and appears in Acme's newest location in Barnegat, New Jersey.

AFTER...


This photo, courtesy of Supermarket Fan, shows the updated logo in the newly remodeled Kenilworth store. This new design first began to appear on the register lights which were being installed in former A&P and Pathmark stores. I noticed the logo was looking a little different but hadn't taken the time to verify it until this past weekend. When I saw Supermarket Fan's photos of the Kenilworth store, I new for sure the logo had been changed.

BEFORE...


Register lights at the 10th and Reed store.

AFTER...


Updated register lights at the Edgewater location.

I'm a little sad to see the first version getting retired already. In my mind, that new logo marked a major turning point in Acme's history. The slow, painful slide to obscurity finally over with new owners taking aggressive measures to improver stores and to secure a prosperous future for Acme. That said, the updated version is slightly bolder and a bit more sophisticated, while still giving a nod to the past with a less retro feel. Which one do you prefer?

11 comments:

  1. I like the second one. It actually looks more like the original fish eye logo than the first. The shape of the border is much closer to the fish in the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original one looks lumpy and distorted while the revised version is sleek. Now Acme needs to start putting this on the store exteriors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Lumpy" is a good way to put it! If they didn't put it on any of the A&Ps or Pathmarks, I doubt we'll ever see it on any exteriors.

      Delete
  3. While I'm glad to see efforts to design a new logo getting enough attention to warrant a revision already, I have to say I prefer the first version. The new one just feels a little too heavy in my opinion... the first look seems lighter and more asymmetrical, which I find fun. I think one of its major problems could've been solved by connecting the two shapes at the top and bottom center more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the revised logo better. I think it looks better and, as another poster noted, is more true to the original fish eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels like acme is testing out new logos. perhaps a new exterior logo is in the cards. I think the new one looks like it would be a lot easier to put on straight, and line up properly. It also looks less like what you would see on a receipt that was just checked at the bag checker at walmart, when they squiggle on it to say "i got your bags looked in"

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as I can tell, Albertsons really seems to have an interest in Acme doing well and that goes as far as having a tested and perfected but recognizable logo. SuperValu brought Acme into some bad years but at least they contributed PF&H. I like that Albertsons seems to want Acme to do well but retain a personal identity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Version 2 is better. It is simpler, stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Version one looks a bit more funky, asymmetrical as mentioned above. But the new version does look more true to the old Fisheye. Either one is an improvement over just the block letters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the original one better because it is more relaxed, smooth, and just all-around looks better. I have no problems with the second one, though; it looks more bold, modern and sophisticated, probably what Acme was aiming for. The second also more closely resembles the original fish eye logo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not see version 1 in person. I saw version 2 for the first time about a month ago in Wall, when they installed the new checkout lane markers. It blew me away, as I immediately thought of the fish eye logo. I love it.

    ReplyDelete