As I was looking through pictures of the beautifully remodeled Trolley Square store, I noticed this above one of the aisles. Now it's certainly not unusual for a grocery store to have products hanging above the aisles, but it is pretty unusual to use pegboard! Back in the 70's and 80's, ACME was pretty famous for using pegboards above ALL their aisles in their smaller stores. Back then, it was referred to as "skyline" and you could find the most random of items hanging here... dish towels, kitchen utensils, tools, hardware, sewing supplies, small toys (above the cereal aisle, of course), cotton balls, pet toys, coffee filters... the selection went on and on. I was pretty surprised to see this phenomenon return to the Trolley Square store. The pegboard has been finished off more attractively here with borders, which was not the case back in the day.
Coincidenetly, ACME had an in-house brand back then called "Skyline". If my memory serves me correctly, this brand was used for HABA items, but may have spread over to other categories. The logo was made up of the fish-eye shape with "Skyline" in place of ACME. Again, my memory is a little foggy with all of this. I do seem to have a distinct memory of Skyline shampoo and can even see the entire bottle in my mind. I believe this branding died off when Acme switched over to Osco products in their HABA departments. I've scoured the internet for the logo or old products that had it and I have not been able to find any. If anyone has better memories of this era, please share in the comments!

No comments:
Post a Comment