As I was taking yet another look at the beautiful remodel at Trolley Square; I noticed this row of products above one of the aisles. Sure, plenty of supermarket chains hang merchandise above the aisles, particularly in smaller stores, but I believe ACME is one of the only stores to use pegboard! Back in the 70's, this was used up and down every single aisle in smaller ACME stores and it was referred to as "skyline". Back then it was not as nicely finished off as you see here with the wood borders.
Coincidentally one of ACME's in-house brands was "Skyline" which was used prodominetly for HABA products, if I remember correctly. The logo was a slight variation of the fish-eye logo with the word "Skyline" in place of ACME. I've scoured the internet for this logo and have not been able to find it. At the ACME I worked at, the products above the aisles was a pretty significant draw. We had tons of products the other grocery stores in town did not have. Tools, hardware, dish towels, sewing supplies, toys, kitchen utensils, the most random of gadgets... the selection went on and on, up and down every aisle of the store. Again, not unusual for a grocery store to have these items but back in the 70's and 80's, the "skyline" pegboards were kind of a big deal and it was a look that was all ACME!
No comments:
Post a Comment