As I mentioned on Monday's post, the Edgewater ShopRite is due to open on September 19th. Yesterday I stopped by to see all the incredible work being done to convert the store. Oh wait. Nothing is being done. Both the interior and exterior are untouched since my post went up on September 1. In fact, not a single worker seen on the entire property. How is this place going to be ready in 9 days? Obviously, at this point, Inserra purchased all of ACME's equipment and is leaving everything in place. Are they even going to paint the interior? It would be a shame if they didn't replace some of the cases. Freezers left over from the Pathmark days freeze everything into blocks of ice and the milk dases are severely dated and nasty. As of now, this is an absolutely terrible conversion unless some crazy miracle happens in the next 9 days. Of course, I will be covering the store on grand reopening, so we'll get a closer look at how all of this shakes out.
Inserra has done some pretty cheap and quick remodels, so it's conceivable they could still do a small refresh in the remaining couple days. Remember this one up in Rockland County?
ReplyDeletehttps://www.marketreportblog.com/2025/03/update-shoprite-new-city-ny.html
I'm amazed they'll even get the store stocked in time. I know Inserra and Wakefern are a big enough operation that they can turn things around quickly, but especially for independent operators, I'll often see shelves stocked with nonfoods and shelf-stable stuff with very long shelf lives weeks in advance of opening. I'm really curious how this one is going to work out.